Tuesday, April 14, 2009

April 14th Cut flowers

Aloha World,

Before I moved to Hawaii, I lived in Washington, DC., for the most part of 40 years. One of my former occupations was as a florist. I used to LOVE using tropical, "exotic" flowers in my arrangements. The main draw back was that they COST so much. One large philodendron leaf was like 15 dollars and a hanging Heliconia was 20 to 35 dollars a STEM, and orchids were just as insanely priced, the basic Dendrobium, starting at 35 a plant, that is, with one SO SO spike that almost always dropped half its buds.

Anyway, I now have several Heliconia's and the hanging one, which I got for free, now has around 35 flowers on it, and the orange and the red Lobster claws are equally abundant. I now have wonderful arrangements in my home, as well as many flowering orchid plants.

I love my new home it is always filled with flowers and it doesn't cost me anything but time in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment